Skip to main content

Do You Really Know Me?

On November 30, 2005, Joe and I held the baby we prayed for and loved and had to say good-bye to too soon. 

I had carried her for only 25 weeks, and she was stillborn in the quiet hours of the night and baptized and prayed over by my priest and friend and fellow new mother. Our first baby's name was Isabel Perry Boyles, and she was tiny and beautiful. She waits for me in Heaven in the arms of my grandmothers and hers. 


Did you know that?

Maybe you know because you sent me a note or brought us dinner, offered a hug, or stood on my front porch a week later holding out yellow roses as tears fell and no words passed. And I’ve never forgotten.

Maybe you know because we’ve talked about the hard road to parenthood, and her story came up.

Maybe you’ve asked me where my passion for children comes from, and I told you.

Maybe you know because we’ve sat together long enough to dig deep into what has formed us as people.

Maybe you know because we’ve prayed together to understand God and life.

But maybe you didn’t know and now it makes sense.

If you know me as a wife, it makes sense that I’m completely in love with Joe because he loved all of my brokenness and he showed me his. We became each other’s compass. And he promised me we would be ok. And we are.

If you know me as a mother, it makes sense that you see me delight in the small things I almost missed out on like knee socks and baby teeth and heirloom dresses. You know that I want my children to be kind and strong and faithful because those qualities are what they need to do the hard work in life. You know that I love on scraped knees, but I urge my children to get up and keep going because I know they have great purpose in this life.

If you know me as a Christian, you’ve seen me weep over church baptisms and Away in a Manger. You know that I worked the New Baby Ministry just so I could celebrate every single birth before I had children of my own. You know that I find strength in the Old Testament mothers of Leah and Rachael and Hannah.

If you know me as a teacher, you see that I love every child as someone else’s miracle, and that I try show them how to live into God’s design for them in the world.

If you know me as a friend, you know I feel deeply for your hurts and joys because your struggles twinge the parts of me that feel with you. And to feel is to remember, and to remember is to know. 

If you know meyou know that I struggle with containing my emotions, that I want to find the perfect word for everything, that I delight in the ordinary moments and stress over the important ones. You know that I worry that people only see an imposter who's trying too hard, and that I desperately want everyone to be happy with me all of the time. 

I have stories to tell and no idea whom they’re for. I'm feeling called to share and called to write. And this blog will be my dwelling place. For musings and missives and prayers and praise and prose. 


But now you know why.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Bread

When I feel myself floating untethered in an ethereal mess of chaos and stuff, I reach for touchstones, something to connect me back to the people and places who ground me. Usually it’s a quick touch or snuggle from my husband or children. But sometimes I have to reach a bit farther. We were approaching what would have been her 95th birthday and I craved Grandmama. I grabbed my apron and cups and canisters and made quick work of throwing together my grandmother’s ingredients for her biscuits recipe.  I’m hardly at all like her, aside from the name we share.  Picture a 90-pound lady, apron strings wrapped back around her tiny waist and tied at her front, perfectly coiffed hair (thanks, Aquanet), and a smoking cigarette resting perfectly on the edge of a silver plated ringed ashtray. By the time I began paying attention to such things, her nails were always polished in the same shade, her hands wrinkled and bumpy and spotted the way a grandmother’s hands should be.  At doub

Lost and Found

Grabbing my two little people by two little hands and walking quickly, we entered our coastal city’s fish market, our faces smacked with fresh Gulf smells and a salty dampness as the glass doors closed behind us. Joe Patti’s Seafood Market claims to be Pensacola’s second most visited tourist destination, just behind the first place white sand beaches that make us famous. Boisterous, systematic, and efficient, the whole place buzzes with activity any time of day, 7 days a week, and teems with glassy-eyed fish on ice, tubs filled to the brim with fresh-caught bay shrimp, and a staff that eighty-plus-year-old Mr. Frank Patti, a local celebrity, runs like the crew of a ship. Like a king perched on his throne, the second-generation owner bellows out service ticket numbers from the radio handset clutched in his right hand. “Be my shadows,” I repeated my usual instruction as the children and I worked through the crowd to obtain our ticket. I was several numbers down, and an old hand a