Skip to main content

Weathering the Storm


35 That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, “Let us go over to the other side.” 36 Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him. 37 A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. 38 Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, “Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?”39 He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm. 40 He said to his disciples, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?” 41 They were terrified and asked each other, “Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!”
Mark 4:35-41 New International Version (NIV)


Last Saturday morning, as I drove over a bridge offering me a birds’ eye view of our coastal town, I saw the perfect glassy surface of our bay. Determined to enjoy the day, I quickly scheduled an impromptu boat outing. Throwing together beach bags and coolers and greasing up kids with sunscreen took twice as long as I planned, and by the time we hit the boat, a summer rain shower soaked us on our way out of the marina.  

We saw it coming, and alerts of a light shower had popped up on our phones. We pointed out to the children the curtains of rain sheeting the sky as they approached.

From our very wet spot in its center, we could see the storm’s perimeter, and as it moved across the bay, we knew it would pass. The children made a game of sliding on the vinyl seats and opening their mouths to drink in the drops as they fell. Rain pelted our faces as the boat continued its race across the open water. 

And then, also as expected, it stopped, or really we emerged from the opposite edge of the shower.  And we kept on. Our destination undeterred. 

Our home is in a storm right now. My daughter’s best friend is moving away. 

To Japan.

“Are there any places farther than Japan?” she laments to me, her geography teacher mother. 

“Well, Perth, Australia, is farther…” I provide an unhelpful answer. 

The tears continue. 

I’m a fixer and a doer. In an effort to solve problems, I go straight to work to distract myself from the feelings of disappointment or frustration. But I’m bumping up against a problem I can’t fix. And there’s nothing I can do. 

This isn’t a skinned knee I can bandage. This isn’t a mess I can help pick up from the Magnatiles tower Brother knocked down. This isn’t a heart I can soothe after the echo of unkind words from a  playground encounter. 

I can’t fix this. 

We talk about how “three years will pass in a blink,” how “it’s not forever,” how “Facetime will make this easier,” and, of course, that this sacrifice of moving is their family’s gift to our country through her father’s service to the Navy. 

But at the end of this month, something we see coming towards us, something we’ve known was going to happen, will happen. Outside of my planning, and fixing, and doing, the storm is coming, and M will leave, for three years, and with few, if any, opportunities for visits. 

I think of Jesus in the boat, inviting his disciples away from one side of the sea and all that made them comfortable-- exciting crowds, nourishing food, familiar villages-- over to the other side. To the unknown.

And then a storm overwhelmed them. 

When the alarmed disciples wake Jesus and beg him to address their doom, he calms the sea and rebukes the wind. Gospel writer Mark doesn’t indicate that Jesus stopped the rain. He simply calmed the storm. He didn’t get rid of it. But he carried them safely to their work on the other side.

Back on our boat, we maximized the day, boating to a favorite restaurant for lunch, stopping in the middle of the bay to jump in and cool off, and dancing on the bow of the boat. As I dried the salty bodies of our children, the memory of the storm was evident only in the still damp towels.

As my daughter walks through this pop up storm of childhood emotions, I’ll wrap her up in me, and I’ll remind her of Jesus’ faithfulness to his disciples in carrying them through storms, both literal and figurative; the same Jesus that calmed those storms, can calm this one, too.

As M’s family maneuvers through the details of a military move and the mixed up emotions of their life transition, I hold her and her mama in mind and prayer and watch with love as the family reaches towards their exciting new life abroad. 

My words won’t work, and Facetime won’t fully console, but the beautiful thing about a military move is that it has perimeters. So we will race through this rain together, but in the midst of it, we will look to the edges of these bookended three years, to the time they shared in delightful childhood sweetness, to their separateness in the middle in which they will grow strong, and to the undoubtedly incredible young women they’ll be when their skies open back up and their ride together continues on its course.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Bread

When I feel myself floating untethered in an ethereal mess of chaos and stuff, I reach for touchstones, something to connect me back to the people and places who ground me. Usually it’s a quick touch or snuggle from my husband or children. But sometimes I have to reach a bit farther. We were approaching what would have been her 95th birthday and I craved Grandmama. I grabbed my apron and cups and canisters and made quick work of throwing together my grandmother’s ingredients for her biscuits recipe.  I’m hardly at all like her, aside from the name we share.  Picture a 90-pound lady, apron strings wrapped back around her tiny waist and tied at her front, perfectly coiffed hair (thanks, Aquanet), and a smoking cigarette resting perfectly on the edge of a silver plated ringed ashtray. By the time I began paying attention to such things, her nails were always polished in the same shade, her hands wrinkled and bumpy and spotted the way a grandmother’s hands should be.  At doub

Do You Really Know Me?

On November 30, 2005, Joe and I held the baby we prayed for and loved and had to say good-bye to too soon.  I had carried her for only 25 weeks, and she was stillborn in the quiet hours of the night and baptized and prayed over by my priest and friend and fellow new mother. Our first baby's name was Isabel Perry Boyles, and she was tiny and beautiful. She waits for me in Heaven in the arms of my grandmothers and hers.  Did  you   know  that? Maybe  you   know  because  you  sent  me  a note or brought us dinner, offered a hug, or stood on my front porch a week later holding out yellow roses as tears fell and no words passed. And I’ve never forgotten. Maybe  you   know  because we’ve talked about the hard road to parenthood, and her story came up. Maybe  you ’ve asked  me  where my passion for children comes from, and I told  you . Maybe  you   know  because we’ve sat together long enough to dig deep into what has formed us as people. Maybe  you   know  because we’ve

Lost and Found

Grabbing my two little people by two little hands and walking quickly, we entered our coastal city’s fish market, our faces smacked with fresh Gulf smells and a salty dampness as the glass doors closed behind us. Joe Patti’s Seafood Market claims to be Pensacola’s second most visited tourist destination, just behind the first place white sand beaches that make us famous. Boisterous, systematic, and efficient, the whole place buzzes with activity any time of day, 7 days a week, and teems with glassy-eyed fish on ice, tubs filled to the brim with fresh-caught bay shrimp, and a staff that eighty-plus-year-old Mr. Frank Patti, a local celebrity, runs like the crew of a ship. Like a king perched on his throne, the second-generation owner bellows out service ticket numbers from the radio handset clutched in his right hand. “Be my shadows,” I repeated my usual instruction as the children and I worked through the crowd to obtain our ticket. I was several numbers down, and an old hand a